Discussion on the Trade Mission to Germany
Join us as members of the delegation that led the trade mission to Germany in July discuss the opportunities and market intelligence gathered during their visit.
Travelling to Berlin and Munich, the delegates heard presentations from various industry and national association representatives from both countries in order to gain an understanding of the different facets of the German publishing market. They also had one-on-one meetings with more than 100 German publishers and visited the site of the Leipzig Book Fair, one of the oldest and most important book fairs in Germany.
The hosts share some of their major insights and experiences, which will help steer Canada FBM2020’s and Livres Canada Books’ programs and services in the lead up to Canada’s role as the Guest of Honour at the 2020 Frankfurt Book Fair.
Webinar topics include:
- Tips for Canadians entering the German market
- The important role of translators and translations
- Major themes and genres favoured by German publishers
- Understanding the German book industry’s supply chain
- Individual perspectives on the market
- Florence Bisch, Rights Director, Groupe Homme
- François Charette, Executive Director, Livres Canada Books
- Gillian Fizet, Executive Director, Canada FBM2020
- Ruth Linka, Associate Publisher, Orca Book Publishers
- Leigh Nash, Publisher, Invisible Publishing
- Melissa Pitts, Director, UBC Press
- Alexandra Valiquette, Rights Director, Les Éditions Québec Amérique
Watch a recording of this webinar
For more information on the German market and the Guest of Honour at the 2020 Frankfurt Book Fair initiative, please consult the following:
Frank Heibert Blog Post on German Translation
German Children’s Publishers
Selling Canadian Books in Germany: A Market Survey (2015)
Claudia Seeber, Trade Commissioner, Embassy of Canada to Germany